Monday 20 March 2017

Research for Epsom - Music

I have picked some songs that I believe would be each of my character's favourite song. Also some of the songs link to their background or the journey their character goes on.

1. Minty
"Let no man steal your thyme" it was originally written in 1903 but was known as "sprig of thyme". The version that I am using was remade in 1963 by Anne Briggs and Pentangle in 1968. The song is a folk ballad which is about warning young girls to stay clear of fake love and horrible unloving men. I have chosen this song for minty as in the play she is warning her daughter primrose not to go near the men and to stop day dreaming. I think this song would resinate with minty as it not only has a folk quality but it also relates to her life as a gypsy and her being put into marriage not of her own choosing.

2. Dorothy Delaune
"Nutcracker suite" it was written in 1892 by Pytor Ilyich Tcheikhovsky for the ballet. It is a very old classical music piece. I have chosen this piece for Dorothy as I believe her rich upbringing would have meant she wouldn't have been into the modern pop music. Instead she would have gone to the ballet as a child and the music would have stuck with her as a fond childhood memory around Christmas.

3. Loud voice in a tent (Rachel)
"Landslide" it was written in 1975 by Fleetwood Mac. There is nothing really said about this character, she doesn't even have a name. So I have decided to call her Rachel. In the play she shout a lot at men who are drunk so I thought that perhaps she had a bad relationship with a man who drunk. I think she was in love with a man but she left him because of his drinking. That's why I have chosen this song as it is about someone who has left their lover and is trying to move on.

4. Woman 3 (Janet)
"Sha la la la lee" it  was written in 1966 by small faces. Once again there is not any thing written about this character in the script so I have created her character called Janet. She is a teen who has gone to Epsom for the fun of betting. This song is about a girl who goes out on a Friday night with a boy to have fun. So I think it relates to Janet as she is just there to have a bit of fun at the races.

5. French jockey (6)
"La mer" it was written in 1968 by Charles Trenet. All that I know about this character is that they are a French jockey. So I believe that they would have travelled by sea to get to Epsom downs for the races. I don't think that this song would have always been their favourite but perhaps this was the first time they had been abroad so it felt patriotic for this jockey to listen to a very French travel song.

6. The course
"Gold finger" it was written for the iconic film gold finger in 1964 and it was performed by Shirley Bassey. I have chosen this song for my character as they are meant to be a swerve and dangerous being like James Bond. The course character is a metaphor for the actual race course itself. The character talks about the turns and directions the horses take in the race. Therefore since the character is a metaphor I feel that it wouldn't be stupid to over emphasis the James Bond aspect to the character as they are not a real living object.

7. Lunatic 3
"The laughing gnome" it was written in 1967 by David Bowie. I haven't got much information to this character However I know that they have some form of tarrets. I think this would mean that they wouldn't be spoken to directly by people and they wouldn't be in popular culture. So feel that this song is incredible wacky and probably not popular to most people as it has a weird smurf voice in the background. I also feel this song emphasise the lunatics character as they are very wacky themself.

No comments:

Post a Comment