Thursday 14 January 2016

Using the Voice in a Monologue

I decided to do a monologue from the movie "Gravity". The monologue is based around a woman who is trapped in space who is talking to a man about her daughter who is on earth. 

Ryan Stone: "Hey, Matt? Since I had to listen to endless hours of your storytelling this week, I need you to do me a favour. You're gonna see a little girl with brown hair. Very messy, lots of knots. She doesn't like to brush it. But that's okay. Her name is Sarah. Can you please tell her that mama found her red shoe? She was so worried about that shoe, Matt. But it was just right under the bed. Give her a big hug and a big kiss from me and tell her that mama misses her. Tell her that she is my angel. And she makes me so proud. So, so proud. And you tell her that I'm not quitting. I promise. You tell her that I love her, Matt. You tell her that I love her so much. Can you do that for me? Roger that."

Originally I thought that the monologue was about her talking to a man who can't understand what she is saying but when I looked at the movie script I noticed the directions said:

"Ryan opens her eyes, the alarm in the cabin is sounding she turns her head and sees the seat next to her is empty, she realizes that it was a hallucination and she’s still alone, she reactivates the air flow to the cabin and as the oxygen levels rise she begins to recover"

This now make me realise that the monologue is about her loneliness and wanting to be with her child so much more. since it is an hallucination it shows how the character maybe slightly out-with-it. But her main purpose is to convince herself that it is not goodbye and that she should try to fight to get home. After reviewing my voice, I realised that there was some positive aspects to the speech but there was also a few areas of improvements that would make my delivery of the monologue better.

Positive:

  1. I was able to convey emotion into the voice depending on the way I said word like I started to make my voice quiver where I was talking about how much I loved my daughter. And therefore it made me seem as if I was really in that characters situation.
  2. I used a lower tone in my voice which helped convey a more depressive atmosphere for the monologue. I felt that this was good to use as I usually talk on stage with a high pitch due to nerves and excitement.
  3. I have a good rhythm, which allowed the speech to be interesting and not boring
Areas to improve:
  1. When I originally went through the monologue, I used the same tones for when I repeated words. So I need to work on variation in my tone of voice so that the monologue doesn't sound as if it's repeating itself.
  2. Because the speech was written for a movie, the delivery on lines doesn't have to be as loud on stage so I think I will need to work on projection in order to make it suitable for the stage.
  3. I also feel that I didn't have a full enough background to the monologue so I think I want to do a little more research into the character so I know exactly what happens to her and how she feels.
  4. I also think I need to annotate my monologue in order to know what my characters purpose is in each line. I feel this will help me understand the character better and I will also help me to learn my lines as I know which emotion I go to next.

1 comment:

  1. Well done Becky, strong reflections, considerations and analysis.

    ReplyDelete