Thursday 7 January 2016

Initial response to stimulus


The stimulus for our devising project is a piece of jazz music called "let me off uptown" by Gene Krupa's Orchestra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCbxKVmxGEY

When first hearing the song it provoked a lot of ideas. For example;
  1. The music started with an instrumental drum beat that sort of reminded me of murders or crimes. This was because the music sounded thrilling as it repeated the same beats until the tune kicked in.
  2. Since the music was very jazzy, it made me think of the 1920's gangster movies in America. I imagined the colours of gold and black mainly because of the glamorous lifestyles but also the ideas of money and crime.
  3. This then lead me to think about bootlegging and speakeasies due to the crimes caused by prohibition in the 1920's/30's. I imagined some gangsters breaking the law and the song being played in the background of their own private speakeasy.
  4. I also felt that the music was quite sexy due to the fact that the singers were flirting with each other during the song. so this led me to think of more of a flirtatious atmosphere between the men and women at the bar. and it made the whole area dirty.
  5. I also noticed that both the singers voices sounded fake when the were talking to each other so it made me think about how the glamour of the 1920's was only hiding the dirt behind the crimes and violence between the gangs.
  6. I felt that the movements would be very dance based as the song was very up beat and i could imagine the gangsters and females dancing in the bar.  
  7. The music made me think of the smell of smoke and alcohol as I was imagining the bar atmosphere and the disgusting side to the 1920's. 

3 comments: