Thursday 7 January 2016

My Vocal Development Programme - Analysis




Analysing my voice


Characteristics:
My voice is very animated and quite excited. I naturally have a fast paced voice and I have a fairly loud voice. It is very clear and clipped as I try to pronounce every letter in each word. I have quite good articulation but I can sometimes drop the ends off of words if I am not concentrating and I naturally emphasise on certain words. I have a fairly high pitch and because of this, my voice can become quite nasal. My voice is fairly suited to my age because of the vocabulary I use in every day life, however I may sound a little more well spoken then the stereotypes of teenagers. I seem to have a very high pitch when I am acting and I sometimes forget to project whilst I am on stage. 


Benefits to my Voice:
Because I have such an animated voice, due to my varied range, it means I would have an excited voice to an  audience and therefore it shouldn't become boring to the audience. As I am fairly loud, it means that the audience should be able to hear me on the stage. Also I have a clear voice which means the audience should be able to understand everything I say as I articulate. I also can change my voice to convey characters for example I can manipulate it when I do different accents. This means I will be able to portray many different characters.


Disadvantages to my Voice:
When I act, I naturally speak in a higher pitch which could be because of a state of nerves or over excitement. this means my voice doesn't vary and it can become boring or annoying to an audience as it can limit the amount of expression shown in my voice. In the higher pitch my voice can also become quite nasal as I am not using my lower resonators. I also speak quite fast as I sometimes forget to pause. This can become difficult to understand for an audience as they may lose what I am trying to say and I may forget to pronounce the ends of my words.


Exercises for my Voice:
Since I have a problem with controlling my pitch of my voice as I naturally talk higher on stage, I could try humming in a lower pitch in order to open up my chest resonator and therefore it would make my chest voice stronger.on the other hand my higher pitch could be because of excitement or nerves so I could try some relaxation techniques which may make me more relaxed when I am on stage. for example I could try some yoga or massage as it will loosen any tensions in my body that have been built up by stress. 





I also have a problem with pausing in my speech so I could try going through my lines and pausing at every punctuation mark in order to get familiar to pausing. Another solution for pausing could be to try some breathing exercises like holding and exhaling my breath for long periods of time.  This exercises would develop my control of my breathing and overall the rhythm to my voice. 

1 comment: