Monday 16 November 2015

5 "Cherry Orchard " - Research and Developments

Historical Context
  • After the defeat of Napoleon in 1815, the tsar (Alexander I) tried to discuss constitutional reforms, and though a few were introduced, no thoroughgoing changes were attempted at this time.
  • Serfdom was the dominant form of relation between peasants and  nobility in the 17th century. It only existed in central and southern areas of the Russian Empire.
  • The Russian empire was politically, economically and socially backwards. There was little industry and most of the population was peasant farmers working in an agricultural system that had changed little since the middle ages. 
Russia had been changing since the early 18th century when Tsar Peter had the intent of modernizing Russia’s image. He brought in a series of reforms:
  • Serfs were allowed to buy their freedom. Chekhov's Granddad brought his freedom in 1841
  • A large government bureaucracy was created
  • They brought European styles, fashion and art
  • They adopted the French language and western cannon.
These reforms brought great controversy. In 1861 there was a second wave of reforms which freed all serfs from bondage. This was the beginning of a free market economy which undermined the power of nobility. 


Beginning of the Play
Before the play has begun, Lyuba has spent the last 6 years in Paris with her secret lover who stole from her. She left for Paris because her husband and her son Grisha both died within one months difference and she was traumatised by her adult life that made her flee.  We know this as Varya says "I have no idea, Anya. It's been 6 years" it shows that there has been a separation between the family since the death of the husband and son so this could lead to the beginning of Lyuba's trauma. 

As an actor, I decided to approach this trauma as if the husband and son were apart of the house rather then them being completely dead. I felt this was an effective decision as it gives reasons for her being slightly uncomfortable in her house and being so haunted by the people in her house. I tried to make Lyuba look awkward in the scene by a series of movements. I kept fiddling with my hands on my lap as I sat in the chair to show a sort of anxiety because of the horror of having to losing the cherry orchard. I also rapped my arms around my self like a self hug to show a sign of comfort and loneliness. I think hugging my self linked to the fact that she hasn't got anyone to call her own as both her daughters are going off to other men (Peter and Alexander) and she has already lost her husband and son. 

Developments
Originally I decided to make Lyuba's character very motherly and caring to show her weak and frail nature toward her friends and family.  However, as the rehearsals progressed, Karen asked me to experiment by playing Lyuba's character 'like a man'.  I was very sceptical about this decision as I had always imaged her to be a very feminine character but I now understand that Karen wanted Lyuba to be a withered soul as she has lived through traumatic events like death and robbery.  I decided to make her more 'like a man' by lowering the voice to show the older nature to Lyuba and I tried to make her slightly less caring and motherly. I did this as mothers notoriously over protect their children were as the father tries to teach the children life lessons. I felt this was more suitable for her to take on both roles in parenthood as she has lost her husband and the children don't need as much protection now that they are older.

I also had played Lyuba as a reserved woman as she was a lot older then most of the characters so she didn't have much physical contact with other people. However Karen also suggested that she could be more touchy with people as she is close with all the characters in the house. I think she decided to do this as Lyuba is stuck in her happy childhood memories so she maybe more childish and playful to keep her memories alive. In order to show this I decided to touch Peter and Leonid's face when I say how old they have become and I gave grand double kisses to my daughters to show the loving joyous experience of coming home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment