Wednesday 18 November 2015

6 'Cherry Orchard' - Answers to Original Questions

My Original Questions that I found whilst I was studying the script were:
  • What happened to Lyuba in Paris?
  • How long has she been away?
  • How long has she been hurting?
After looking into the historical context and having a further analysis of the play, I feel that I have been able to answer some of those original question.
  •  I found out that Lyuba had a secret lover whilst she was in Paris who manipulated, stole from her and made her try to commit suicide because of the betrayal. this can be considered as part of her main trauma of her adult life as she realises that her love and friendship are fragile and precious. I was able to find this answer from the second scene that was performed. 
  • I found out she has been in Paris for around 6 years as in the script Varya says "I have no idea, Anya. It's been 6 years". It shows that there has been a separation between the family since the death of the husband and son so this could lead to the beginning of Lyuba's trauma.  This is all learnt in the first scene that I was performing in. 
  • The final question was a lot harder to answer as there is no clear date but I think that she must have been hurting ever since the Russian Revolution in 1861 as it was the first point of change in her life that led to her chronic debt, the lose of her friends, family, the estate and the cutting down of the cherry orchard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment