Thursday 4 May 2017

First Practice Of My Monologue

Galina - The Table Laid

When I first read this monologue I knew that I was going to have to use a Russian accent as Galina herself is Russian. I decided to start of by looking up websites and videos that would help me understand the Russian accent.

http://www.wikihow.com/Fake-a-Thick-Russian-Accent 

I felt that this resource was very helpful as it showed me where I needed to place my tongue to create the correct sounds for the accent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqKn5HXxeLA

I felt that this resource was very helpful as it allowed me to hear how certain words are pronounced and it was easier to imitate the voice in the video.

After nailing the accent, I then wanted to visualise the different areas that the character talks about in the monologue. for instance she talks about her grandmother carrying water to her house.

"In her house there was no water. she brought it from the stream, day by day. The buckets were heavy."

Image result for old russian houses chekhovDuring this part of the monologue I try to imagine an old Russian houses that were made of wood. Since the house has no water I felt that it most likely had a very rough build for the house like wood. The way she talks about her grandmother is a happy memory so I thought that she would have loved the her family home and her old life. That's why I believe this image helps to image her home.

No comments:

Post a Comment