Friday 30 September 2016

Contemporary Monologue 2 - Dying Light

Play: Dying Light

Playwright: D M Larson
Character: Jenny
Part of the Play: Act 1, Scene 3
Setting: A hospital ward
Play's Context:  the play follows the story of two young people (Tom and Jenny) who are both suffering from cancer. Both characters are trying to deal with their own morality and their struggles with cancer but they do it through satirical comedy and on going chats with each other and their nurse. There is only three characters in the play so most of the play is performed in duologues and monologues. 

Jenny's Monologue: 

'Glioblastoma.  That's what they say I have...  Glioblastoma.  Sounds like 
some kind of science fiction laser.  My Glioblastoma is set for kill.  Just 
give the word Captain and I will vaporise the alien beast.  'Course it's not 
from Star Trek or Star Wars or Star Blazers.  It's from real life.  But like 
one of those types of movies it seems like some kind of alien.  It snuck 
inside my head and began eating my brain.  It's no secret that it's set for 
kill either.  A Glioblastoma is probably the worst type of tumour you can 
get.  Nope, I wasn't lucky enough to only get one little tumour.  Instead I 
had a cluster of the damn things.  Every time I had an MRI - that's like a 
CAT scan but better - they managed to find a new one.  So three 
operations and a ride on the radiation rollarcoaster later, I'm still here.  It's
strange the way people treat you when you're dying.  My Mom try's to 
pretend nothings wrong...  Maybe that's for the best.  Recently a doctor 
told me I should consider putting my estate in order.  Estate in order! 
What's that?  Some clothing, make-up, and a beat up bicycle.  I'm not 
going to be leaving a whole lot behind to prove I was here.  Cancer!  
Brain surgeries!  You wouldn't believe how hard it was in high school to 
deal with all that crap.  You wouldn't believe how hard it was for a girl with 
no hair to find a date to the prom.  Nobody asked me.  Nope...  Nobody 
wanted to take the bald chick out.  No big deal.  Ended up having to hire 
someone to go with me...  Just kidding.  Actually I ended up asking Henry 
Schlatman.  The guy had glasses that were about a foot thick and he still 
couldn't see.  On the night of the prom he complimented me on my hair.  I
didn't have the heart to tell him I didn't have any.  Well at least for the 
time being I have hair again. Well, I'm still alive.'

Jenny's Character:

She is a 19 year old girl who has been struggling from Glioblastroma (brain cancer) for years. She uses satirical comedy to deal with her pain but she is also used to suffering as she has had the cancer for years. 

"Glioblastomas (GBM) are tumours that arise from astrocytes—the star-shaped cells that make up the “glue-like,” or supportive tissue of the brain. These tumours are usually highly malignant (cancerous) because the cells reproduce quickly and they are supported by a large network of blood vessels" 
http://www.abta.org/brain-tumor-information/types-of-tumors/glioblastoma.html?referrer=https://www.google.co.uk/

My View:

i really like this monologue because it deals with a very serious issue but it portrays it through comedic dialogue and so I therefore think that this monologue would be a great way for me to show some subtle comedy in an audition. for instance on the line "My Glioblastoma is set for kill. Just give the word Captain and I will vaporise the alien beast" I am going to use a Russian accent to show that the character has her own humour and that she has accepted her cancer for what it is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment