Sunday 18 October 2015

Evaluation of "the wardrobe" performance

Basics:
In our performance of the wardrobe, I feel that an especially effective part of the performance was our entrances and exits into each scene. For example at the end of scene 1,  Cecily exited through the right door of the wardrobe. As this was happening the two Jewish boys entered through the left door of the wardrobe in order to start scene 2. I felt this was effective as it kept the play moving with the smooth transition and therefore the pace and energy of the scenes kept at the same level.

However we did have one accident with scene 12's exit. As the narrator exited the wardrobe she accidentally bumped into the pole that was used as a coat rack inside the wardrobe. It caused the pole to break off but she recovered well as she took the pole out of the wardrobe when she exited. This meant that the final scene could carry on as she dealt with the incident backstage. I felt that she was very professional in handling the situation as she didn't panic and the play continued like nothing had happened.

Stylistically:
Our main aim in the performance was to perform in a naturalistic style of a contemporary play. I felt that we achieved being able to act naturally in the play and we able to express our own truth into our characters. For example in scene 6, Dido was talking about thankfulness and she said "today I am grateful that I was not enslaved upon a ship as my mother was". When she said this line she said it through her teeth. When I heard her say this line, I thought she was almost about to cry as her voice was so haunting that I felt the sadness, angry and shame of her character. I believed her so much I went up to her backstage to see if she was alright after her scene.

Actors skills:
One part of the play that I wish I did better with was my vocal delivery of some of my lines as I messed up some words which meant that some of my lines didn't make complete sence. For example one of my lines was meant to be "you will marry a gentleman and have babies" however in our performance I said "you will marry a husband and have babies". I felt that this broke my performance as I was able to say the more complicated words like "ascertainth" correctly but I messed up on the easier lines. Therefore I felt that I needed to work more on learning lines or being more fluid with them as I felt that it effected my ability to perform in a naturalistic style.

Ensemble:
I think one of the most effective elements of the performance was the teamwork. Every cast member supported the performance both on and off the stage by staying quite during the show, playing their parts to the best of their ability and helping the other performers during the show. For example Chloe had to do a quite change from a maid to a lady in between scene 4 to scene 5. She asked me to set up her dress so that as soon as she exited scene 4 we could slip it over her maid costume in order for her to walk in for scene 5. This was effective as the scene had a smooth transition and I was able to support Chloe in order for the performance to carry on.

No comments:

Post a Comment